Charge controllers or charge regulators are basically voltage and/or current regulators to keep batteries from being overcharged. It regulates the voltage and current coming from the solar panels going to the battery. Most “12 volt” panels put out about 16 to 18 volts, so if there is no regulation the batteries will be damaged from overcharging.
Charge controllers come in all shapes, sizes, features, and price ranges. They range from small 4.5 amp controllers, up to 60 and 100 amp MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) programmable controllers with computer interface.
All our systems use MPPT charge controllers.
Innovative MPPT technology ensures that your solar array is operating at its peak power regardless of age, shading or environmental conditions – increasing the performance by up to 30%.
PT-100 from Magnum Energy Features
Works with all Magnum Inverters or as a stand-alone controller using internal settings.
- High Efficiency: Provides higher than 99% conversion efficiency and uses less than two watts of power in nighttime mode
- Voltage Options: 12, 24, or 48V battery systems. The PT-100 will produce up to 100 amps regardless of battery voltage
- Supports a Large PV Array: A single controller can support up to 6600 watts
- Multi – stage Charging: Maximizes system performance and improves battery life
- AFCI: An integrated PV Arc – Fault Circuit Interrupter detects, indicates, and extinguishes series arcs
TriStar from MorningStar Features:
- Voltage Options: 12, 24, or 48V
- Rated: 45 and 60 amps
- Max System Size: 3200 watts@48V
- Extensive Networking & Communication Capabilities: Enables systems monitoring, data logging and adjustability
- Optional Meter and Remote Meter: provides detailed operating data, alarms and faults. Up to 200 days of data logging via meters or communications ports
The Classic from MidNite Solar Features:
- Voltage Options: 150, 200 and 250V operating voltages
- Rated: 63 to 96 amps
- Protection: Built in DC – GFP and Arc Fault Protection
- 3 Charging Sources: Solar, Wind and Hydro MPPT modes
- Exclusive hyperVOC: extended VOC limits
- Easy Set -up: Wizard walks you through complete set-up
- Computer Interface: Ethernet, USB and RS232
- Data Logging: 20 megs
XW80 – 600V from Schneider Features:
- Voltage Options: 24 or 48V
- Rated: 80 amps
- Max System Size: 4800 watts@48V
- Best Option: for long distance transmission of solar energy from array site to battery bank